Permalink is short for “permanent link”. Permalinks are permanent URL structures used to help organize the content of your website (pages, posts, portfolio, etc.) so it can be efficiently navigated, shared, and referenced by users and bots.
Permalink settings for Visual Portfolio can be found at WordPress > Settings > Permalinks.
From here you can configure the URL structure for your portfolio taxonomies and portfolio items pages.
For best practice, permalink structures should contain keywords relating to the content they help categorize.
There are three settings at WordPress > Settings > Permalinks > Optional that control the base of your categories and tags on Visual Portfolio:
- Portfolio category base – The default portfolio category base is portfolio-category. An example would be
- Portfolio tag base – The default portfolio tag base is portfolio-tag. An example would be
Portfolio Items Permalinks
There are four settings under WordPress > Settings > Permalinks > Portfolio Permalinks to select from as your permalink base for portfolio items:
- Default – If you are not using pretty permalinks, Default will be the only option available to you and will use ID-based URLs. An example would be
yourdomain.com/?portfolio=111. If you are using pretty permalinks, the product base will be
- Portfolio base – The portfolio base will use the portfolio archive page name. An example would be
- Portfolio base with category – The portfolio base with category will use the portfolio archive page name first, then add the portfolio category name. An example would be
- Custom base – The custom base will allow you to set custom text before the portfolio item name. An example would be
%portfolio_page_slug% short tag will automatically use the Portfolio Archive page slug.
Note: The product Custom base setting should NOT conflict with the Taxonomy permalink settings. If you set the product base to
portfolio, for example, you should NOT set the product category base to
portfolio too, as this will not be unique and cause a conflict. WordPress requires something unique so it can distinguish categories from portfolio items.
Portfolio Archive Permalink
The archive page permalink will be automatically loaded from your archive page slug. Read more info about Portfolio Archive page here: